What to Do if Served Papers for Debt

What to Do if Served Papers for Debt

Dealing with debt can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, especially when you are faced with legal action. If you have been served papers for debt, it is essential to understand your rights and take immediate action to protect yourself. In this article, we will discuss what steps you should take when served with debt papers and answer some frequently asked questions to help you navigate through this challenging time.

Understanding the Papers

When you are served with debt papers, it is crucial to carefully read and understand the documents you have received. The most common types of papers you may be served with include:

1. Summons and Complaint: This document outlines the details of the debt lawsuit, including the amount owed, the creditor’s name, and the court where the lawsuit was filed.

2. Writ of Summons: This is a formal notice from the court, informing you about the lawsuit against you and the date of your court appearance.

3. Notice of Default Judgment: This document states that you have failed to respond to the lawsuit within the required timeframe, leading to a default judgment being entered against you.

What to Do Next

1. Do not ignore the papers: Ignoring the papers will only worsen the situation. Take immediate action as ignoring the lawsuit can result in a default judgment being entered against you.

2. Verify the debt: Before responding to the papers, make sure you validate the debt. Request the creditor to provide you with proof of the debt, such as a signed contract or a detailed account statement.

See also  How Long Does Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Take

3. Consult an attorney: If you feel overwhelmed or unsure about how to proceed, it is advisable to seek legal advice. An experienced attorney can guide you through the process, protect your rights, and help you build a strong defense.

4. Respond within the deadline: It is critical to respond to the lawsuit within the specified timeframe. Usually, you have around 20-30 days to file a written response, known as an answer, with the court. Failure to do so can result in a default judgment being entered against you.

5. Negotiate or settle the debt: Consider contacting the creditor or their attorney to negotiate a settlement or establish a repayment plan. They may be open to accepting a reduced amount or more favorable payment terms to avoid a lengthy court battle.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: Can I be sued for a debt I don’t owe?
A: Yes, you can be sued for a debt you do not owe. It is important to validate the debt and dispute it if you believe it to be incorrect or fraudulent.

Q: What happens if I ignore the lawsuit?
A: Ignoring the lawsuit can result in a default judgment being entered against you. This means that the court will automatically rule in favor of the creditor, allowing them to pursue collection actions.

Q: Can I represent myself in court?
A: While it is possible to represent yourself in court, it is highly recommended to seek legal representation, especially if you are unfamiliar with the legal process. An attorney can provide valuable guidance and increase your chances of a favorable outcome.

See also  What Is a Source of Debt Financing

Q: Can the creditor garnish my wages?
A: If the creditor obtains a judgment against you, they may have the right to garnish your wages. However, the laws regarding wage garnishment vary by state, so it is crucial to consult an attorney to understand your specific situation.

Q: Will the debt lawsuit affect my credit score?
A: Yes, a debt lawsuit can negatively impact your credit score. It is essential to resolve the matter as soon as possible to minimize the damage to your credit.


Being served with papers for debt can be a daunting experience, but it is crucial to remain calm and take action. Understanding the papers you receive, seeking legal advice, responding within the deadline, and exploring negotiation options are key steps to protect your rights and find a resolution. Remember, it is essential to consult with an attorney who can provide personalized guidance based on your specific circumstances.